Fredericia was established in 1911 as Fredericia Stolefabrik (Fredericia Chair Factory), by entrepreneur N. P. Ravnsø, who successfully led the venture until his death in 1936. From the very start, Ravnsø wanted his new venture to be known for extremely high quality, and throughout his tenure, he hired only the most skilled craftsmen – something that quickly lead Fredericia Stolefabrik to become renown for its high quality furniture in various styles. The Ravnsø family owned and operated Fredericia Stolefabrik until 1955.
In 1955, Andreas Graversen acquired Fredericia Stolefabrik. He was encouraged to do so by the town bank, as the factory was on the verge of bankruptcy. The only condition Graversen insisted upon was that production of furniture would be restructured in collaboration with Børge Mogensen. Graversen loved Mogensen’s furniture, which he often described as "unpretentious, pure and honest."
In 1968 Børge Mogensen designs Andreas Graversen’s home, including furniture, which became a living showroom for Fredericia.
1995: In the same year that Fredericia and Nanna Ditzel received Denmark’s highest design honour, the ID-prize for Industrial Design, Thomas takes over directorship of the factory from his father, Andreas. In that same year, the company name changed from Fredericia Stolefabrik A/S to Fredericia Furniture A/S. Today the company is known as simply ‘Fredericia’.
'We are proud of our collaborations with a carefully chosen circle of international designers, all renown for their exceptional level of design integrity, as well as our ability to identify and nurture talent. All with the ambition of creating contemporary design that is always beautifully crafted, relevant and aesthetically intriguing.’
- Thomas Graversen, owner